Sussex Police Implementation of Custody Hour
Sussex Police has been working in partnership with a range of stakeholder to agree a new way to share information regarding children that come into police custody.
This new way of sharing information starts at 00:01 on 08 February 2020 and includes a commitment by Sussex Police to inform partners of a child arrest within 1 hour of the detention being authorised (not arrival) at a custody centre, both in and out of normal business hours.
This is about working together to protect children and a commitment to working together towards understanding:
- Reason for detention;
- Working together to highlight and address immediate health or vulnerability needs;
- Identify the best person to perform the role of the appropriate adult for the child detained;
- Understanding wider safeguarding;
- Doing everything we can to avoid an adverse child experience.
- Information must be shared – there are appropriate information sharing agreements in place, this is about promoting the safeguarding of children in our collective care.